High-performance sports machine with intoxicating performance.
A compact high-performance BMW sports car was already causing heads to turn and hearts to flutter over 40 years ago. Indeed, the BMW 2002 turbo perfectly encapsulated BMW’s resolution to deliver outstanding dynamics, exceptional agility and optimum car control. As if to demonstrate in similarly resounding style that this commitment is alive and well, BMW M GmbH can now unveil the new BMW M2. With its high-performance six-cylinder in-line engine, rear-wheel-drive agility, lightweight aluminium M Sport suspension and extrovert styling, the new BMW M2 Coupé has all the ingredients to deliver the last word in driving pleasure.
Characteristic M design.
A single glance is all it takes to pick the new BMW M2 Coupé out as a member of the BMW M family, with its styling also keen to advertise its dynamic attributes. Inspired by models from the history of BMW in motor racing, the new M2 Coupé makes no secret of its extraordinary performance potential. The low front apron with large air intakes, muscular flanks with characteristic M gills, 19-inch aluminium wheels in familiar M double-spoke design and low, wide rear with M-specific twin-tailpipe exhaust system all play impressive roles here. The time-honoured character of BMW M cars is also present and correct in the design of the interior. The Alcantara of the door cards and centre console together with porous carbon fibre creates an ambience of rare quality and heady sporting ambition further underlined by blue contrast stitching and M embossing on selected details. Sports seats, an M sports steering wheel and an M gearshift lever ensure BMW M2 drivers are in perfect command of their car it at all times.
The newly developed, three-litre six-cylinder in-line engine in the new BMW M2 deploys cutting-edge M TwinPower Turbo technology to develop 272 kW/370 hp at 6,500 rpm (fuel consumption combined: 8.5 l/100 km [33.2 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 199 g/km)* and, in so doing, lays down a marker in the high-performance compact sports car segment. The same applies to power delivery. Peak torque of 465 Nm (343 lb-ft) can be increased to as much as 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) in short bursts under overboost. All of which enables the new BMW M2 Coupé with optional seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) and Launch Control to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 4.3 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155 mph). Yet, with its M DCT transmission, fuel consumption of just 7.9 litres* per 100 km (35.8 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of just 185 g/km*, the car is also keen to emphasise its outstanding efficiency.
Motor sport expertise.
With the lightweight aluminium front and rear axles from the BMW M3/M4 models, forged 19-inch aluminium wheels with mixed-size tyres, M Servotronic steering with two settings and suitably effective M compound brakes, the new BMW M2 Coupé has raised the bar once again in the compact high-performance sports car segment when it comes to driving dynamics. The electronically controlled Active M Differential, which optimises traction and directional stability, also plays a significant role here. And even greater driving pleasure is on the cards when the Dynamic Stability Control system’s M Dynamic Mode (MDM) is activated. MDM allows wheel slip and therefore moderate, controlled drifts on the track.
Intelligent connectivity when you want it.
The new BMW M2 Coupé comes with an extensive list of standard equipment in keeping with its performance-focused set-up. The seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) with Drivelogic, available as an option, changes gears with extraordinary speed but no interruption in the flow of power. A wide selection of driver assistance systems and mobility services from BMW ConnectedDrive is also available. The ConnectedDrive Services provide the basis for extensive vehicle connectivity, and this option also enables the use of innovative apps, which are integrated seamlessly into the car using BMW ConnectedDrive technology. For example, the GoPro app allows the driver to record fast laps of the track with a dashboard-mounted action camera, using the iDrive Controller and Control Display. Meanwhile, the driver’s individual style at the wheel can be analysed as desired with the M Laptimer app. Information on speeds and braking points can be shared easily via e-mail or Facebook.
From powerful stock.
The new BMW M2 Coupé is not only the direct heir to the successful BMW 1 Series M Coupé, but also – in its underlying philosophy – a descendant of the original E30 BMW M3 and the BMW 2002 turbo. The latter caused a sensation over 40 years ago, embodying the commitment of what is now BMW M GmbH to outstanding dynamics, unbeatable agility and optimal car control.
- The new BMW M2 Coupé sets a fresh benchmark for dynamic potency and agility in the compact high-performance sports car segment.
- New six-cylinder in-line engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology and three-litre displacement, 272 kW/370 hp, peak torque: 465 Nm / 343 lb-ft. (Fuel consumption combined, with six-speed manual gearbox: 8.5 l/100 km [33.2 mpg imp]; CO2emissions combined: 199 g/km; with optional M Double Clutch transmission [M DCT]: 7.9 l/100 km [35.8 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 185 g/km)*.
- 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.3 s (with six-speed manual gearbox: 4.5 s), top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph (governed), with M Driver’s Package 270 km/h / 168 mph (governed).
- Track ability tested on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife circuit.
- Stylistic showcase for dynamic excellence: muscular, dynamic lines, exclusive 19-inch aluminium forged wheels, sports exhaust system with twin tailpipes.
- Interior with hallmark M features – including sports seats, an M sports steering wheel and M gearshift lever – signals the car’s ambitions in terms of dynamic leadership.
- Motor sport technology for the road and the race track: lightweight M Sport suspension made from aluminium, optional seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT), Active M Differential, M compound brakes and M Dynamic Mode.